Saturday, April 25, 2015

Oskar Blues Pinner Throwback IPA

Oskar Blues is the creator of one of the best beers ever made, Old Chub on Nitro. This however is a very different beast. Pinner is what they call a "throwback IPA". I'm not 100% sure what that means but this doesn't remind me of an IPA at all. It lacks the bitterness and the strong flavor I associate with an IPA. It honestly reminds me more of a pilsner. It has some of that citrus flavor you expect from an IPA but it's so subtle that you might miss it. I like this beer, but since I was expecting something different I was disappointed. It's a low 4.9 on the Drinkenscale which makes sense with it's overall weak flavor. I don't know...this is a hard beer to judge because of my expectations. I feel like I'd have to drink it again to really give it a fair shake and maybe I will in the future. Going in knowing what to expect might raise my opinion Pinner quite a bit. As it stands though, I would have a hard time recommending this beer as labeled. If you go in expecting IPA prepared to be left wanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment