Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Plastic 40 and a Dream

I've been meaning to grab a big ol 40oz of something cheap and review it for the blog. It's been way too long since I last updated so I figured this would be the perfect way to get back on track. I present to you...A 40OZ OF OLDE ENGLISH MALT LIQUOR!


First things, I was very disappointed in the shatter proof plastic bottle, I wanted to feel the heft of a glass bottle wrapped in brown paper in my hands. Also, I wanted that metallic sound upon opening the cap but that was taken from me by the plastic. Therefore this beer scores very low in the look and sound department.


Next, I poured some out for my homies lost in the struggle because it just seemed right to me.

You can tell I'm hardcore because I have a Dave Matthews tattoo

Then, I drank some...it wasn't the worst beer I've ever had. It definitely wasn't good, but you know, I didn't hate it. I wouldn't go out and buy another one anytime soon but I'd rather drink this than a bud light or miller ultra or bud select 55.

I started in my dining room but soon realized a 40 should be properly enjoyed on a stoop. With no stoop to be found, I settled on my deck.
Got my damn rap face on in this picture. 

Olde English 800 Malt Liquor comes in at a staggering 7.5 on the DRINKENSCALE. This is a beer designed for one purpose. To be cheap and to get you drunk. If I'm basing it entirely on it's sole purpose than this beer is a clear winner. If I factor in taste though, it loses a lot of points. Add in the disappointing plastic bottle and you're down in the bottom tier of beers. The experience though, sitting on your stoop(deck) drinking a 40 from a brown paper bag...that can't be replicated. Worth every second.

2 comments:

  1. I started hating on plastic bottles for beer when Miller introduced them a few years ago.

    Did we really need resealable caps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ought to do a expansion review in which you add some orange juice (aka a Brass Monkey). It really helps the taste, and assist in fighting off any scurvy.

    ReplyDelete