Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Chronpickles of Making Beer Pickles



Making beer pickles is something I've been thinking about doing for awhile now and today...I've finally done it.

First, let's take a look at the ingredients.

Ignore the Pepto Bismol, spaghetti, dirty dishes, medicine, and cleaning wipes...

Can't make pickles without cucumbers. Unless you're making really weird pickles.

Look at the dill! It looks DILLicious!





I decided I was going to make 4 batches, each one based off of 2 different recipes then add habanero to one of each of the recipes to kick it up a notch. The recipes weren't much different but one had me cooking the liquid and dissolving sugar into it where the other did not.


The MKE Hop Happy is what I decided to cook with. I combined the sugar, salt, beer, water, and vinegar and cooked it until the sugar dissolved. A very simple process. Then I added the dry ingredients to the jars.

Fresh dill, mustard seed, peppercorns, garlic cloves, kosher salt, and habanero for the spicy batch. The non-spicy batch was habanero free.


Bubble bubble toil and trouble...

Basically at this point I sliced cucumbers into a sort of spear-ish shape, added them to the dry ingredients and poured the liquid on top until the jars were full. 

Look at how pretty we are. Get lost in our eyes...

Then I took my other beer, which did not get cooked at all, and followed a very similar procedure: garlic, habanero(in one)salt, mustard seed, peppercorn, etc...

Terrible picture but a pretty damn good beer.

I've had the Beyond the Pale from Steven's Pointa few times and I knew it was a good hoppy beer so I'm hoping it makes good beer pickles

That was pretty much it, a really simple procedure. Took maybe 20 minutes and most of that time was cleaning up the giant mess I was making because I'm sloppy. 

As for the taste...I'll let you know after they've sat for at least 48 hours...*WINKY FACE EMOTICON*

Soon...they will be in my belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment